Bill,

It always grinds our operator when we upgrade tape drives.  She has to
spend a few weeks copying media prior to the upgrade.

Benjamin Franklin

Bill Brosch <bbrosch@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
10/29/2003 05:47 PM
Please respond to

cc

Subject
Re: SAVF definition

The problem with saving the save file data to *ANY* removable meda is that
in a
few years you may not have a device capable of reading that media anymore.
 Case
in point is the old 250mb cartridges, some 8mm, etc.  Think about how the
hardware has changed, and keeps changing.

So in short, only backup for recovery to your tape drive.  keep all
archived
data in save files on the system, so that you can always get it back.
(Mental
note to self:  Buy disk unit manufacturers stock, lots of it!).  <grin>

Just be careful with long term archival.  media capabilities change with
out
people thinking about the old archived data.  Then they can't get back at
it.

Bill Brosch