Booth,

>It still isn't clear to me if one device can open/interrupt
>another device.

No, or at least not directly.  The MRT techniques of yesteryear would allow
multiple *requestors* -- that is they could be signed on -- but they had to
request joining the program.  Either a SRT or a MRT could acquire other devices,
but you could only acquire devices which were at a sign-on screen or in
"standby" mode (ie, the user would type the command "STANDBY" at the command
line, or maybe it was "MODE" or some such -- at any rate it definately could not
be in a program or even at a menu per se).

Writing MRTs was not all that complicated if you followed some rules, but it was
a much different paradigm than your typical RPG III or IV workstation program.
And I don't really recommend going that direction today.  Much better (IMHO) to
have a regular program using DTAQ's or sockets to connect to the other
member(s).

That said, what you can do on the 400 ( but not the 34/36 ) is use a break
message handling program -- as Rich suggests.  But instead of having it format
the message and display it with a reply area, just have it load the TALK program
and use sockets to connect to the other member(s), or DTAQ's if you only care
about 400 users and not cross-platform connections.

The break handling program would just be to automagically interrupt them and
make another person join the chat (or F3).

I'm of the opinion this is better done via an instant messaging program, but I
understand that it not the impetus in this case...

Doug