Forgot to mention the main challenge:  Do you ALLOW an Item Record to be
created at Division-level, without a Corporate record being added first, and
WHO is going to control the Corp. Item Description and Dimensions, etc...
There are basically 2 ways of dealing with Division-level Item maintenance
(and there are probably others):

1)  Force Corp record to exist first, and user enters their Item# key(s) and
what Corp record it is tied to.
2)  Have first Division to enter an Item enter Description, etc, and have
that "automagically" create a Corporate record.  From then on, Description
and such are protected from update.

There are pros and cons to both, and it depends more on Corporate culture
more than anything, as to which will work better.  Companies vary as to how
much they are opposed to any form of central control, just like people.
(And most people these days tend to dislike ANY central authority, unless
they ARE the authority...;-)  In either case, there will hafta be some
effort to KEEP the Item Description centralized, because duplicate items
WILL get added regardless (moreso in scenario 2, above, but probably EVEN in
scenario 1 unless you have a very small number of items that get added each
day).

Technical challenge is rather the smaller, as I said.