> From: Booth Martin
>
> Based upon all of the comments so far the only real problem is that
Linux
> browsers don't support proprietary Windows extensions to the browser
> standard

I really wish people would just lose the words "proprietary" and
"standard".  They are canards, red herrings, obfuscations, and simply
load otherwise useful discussions with flamewar-ready negative
connotations.

The "proprietary Windows extensions" you talk about could just as easily
be called "IE-specific event filtering capabilities", and that would be
much closer to the mark.  "Standards" are not inherently good all by
themselves - witness SAA/CUA or the WEB-INF folder.  Whether or not I
adhere to some "standard" is a business decision.  The reality is that
"standards" are no good to me if they don't solve my business goals, and
the current DOM standards don't do that.

Until there is a consistent framework for filterable, modifiable
client-side event handling, then I am stuck with IE, because only IE
allows me to do the client-side interaction I need.  I am not going to
send non-numeric data to the host just because Mozilla is too stupid to
allow me to ignore a non-numeric keystroke.

Joe