Does the problem happen regardless of which PC you use? Have you tried using
a PC from a location that works correctly?

Albert York

        -----Original Message-----
        From:   John Allen [SMTP:jallen@xxxxxxxxxxx]
        Sent:   Thursday, September 11, 2003 9:14 AM
        To:     'Midrange Systems Technical Discussion'
        Subject:        RE: Socket program problem

        Well,  I have tried everything I can think of and what you guys
suggested
        and still losing the connection before all data is received by the
PC
        client.

        I am going to explain what is happening in a bit more detail in the
hopes I
        am doing something wrong.

        The iSeries is acting as the Server and it sits and waits for the PC
Clients
        to connect.
        The PC sends a request for a file to the iSeries and then waits for
        response back (Event message).
        The iSeries builds the file and sends it back to the PC one record
at a time
        (in XML format) The building of the file and sending all of the
records in
        XML format takes about 2 seconds.
        While the iSeries is sending the records, the PC client starts
receiving the
        records in groups (number of records it receives with each receive
varies
        from 1-5 records at a time) Before the PC receives all the records
it
        receives a 10053  WSAECONNABORTED and transmission is terminated.

        I read somewhere that after sending data I should wait for an ack
before
        proceeding. Does this mean when the iSeries send a single record it
should
        wait til the PC receives it and the PC send an ack back to the
iSeries, then
        the iSeries should send another record etc. etc. ?

        In this application when the iSeries receives a request (ie PC wants
file x)
        The iSeries spawns off a separate job that builds the file and send
the data
        to the PC.
        The iSeries never acknowledges to the PC that it got the request. It
just
        builds the file and starts sending records to the PC. When the
iSeries
        program (spawned program) is done sending the records it ends.
        The PC (client) starts receiving the records and when done receiving
the
        records it displays them.

        At all 10 remote locations, if the file requested is small (about 10
        records) all 10 locations work fine, they receive all data just
fine.

        But when the file requested is larger (about 20 or so records)
        Two of our 10 remote locations never receive all the data They both
        consistently get the 10053  WSAECONNABORTED before all records are
received.

        We were going to re-write the application tonight and write it so
that
        whenever the PC or the iSeries sends data (even after each
individual( they
        are going to wait until the other side ack that they received the
data and
        is waiting for the next

        Is this a waste of my time? The programmers here are just guessing
at what
        it could be, but we are out of ideas except for this rewrite.

        New program would
        1) iSeries waiting for request
        2) PC send req to iSeries for file X, then waits for ack from
iSeries
        3) iSeries receives request for file x, sends ack to the PC that the
request
        was received and spawns Job A to build the file and transmit to PC
        4) PC get ack from iseries and waits for data
        5) iSeries Job A build file and sends record 1 (with X'FF' at end of
record)
        then waits for ack from PC that the record was received
        PC receives record 1 and knows it is complete because of x'FF' and
send ack
        to the iSeries
        6) iSeries receives ack from PC and the two go back and forth til
all
        records are sent and received.

        Is there any chance this might fix my problem?

        John