I have been spending a lot of time lately on more uses for
AFP and HPT... A few things to watch VERY closely.

(1) How is the terminal and printer attached ???

(2) What emulation(if any) is being used that works/not works
    with HPT.

(3) Certain printers just don't have a good WSCST from IBM but
    most work quite well. Try printing to "other" printers
    before you give up. The Lexmark printers and HP products
    seem to do the best that I have tested.

    I "suspect" the connection method will have a "great deal"
    to do with your success/failure.(twinax : tcp/ip : token ring)

While using a 3488 and a very old Lexmark Optra R, I was able
to reproduce "most" AFP functions with little/no trouble. I
was able to print all major codes supported by DDS with no problem.
I did all the testing on a remote dial line using a 5394 controller.

All print files must be recompiled as *AFPDS for the HPT to
function correctly on AFP functions.

DDS and HPT are a very powerful option given time... Watch the
performance hit on high volume output.