Jeff Crosby wrote:
My question was more of a "which one first?" thing.

From what you described, probably HTML and CSS would be first. Others will follow as the need arises.

Thanks.

PS, you really like that Python, don't you? <g>

;-)

Yeah. I think it's a great language. I'm probably being overly cynical, but it'll never take over the world for the simple reason that I think most programmers don't want programming to be too easy.

Some years ago, I learned Java because, well, that's just what you did in the early 90's. I thought it was pretty cool, and a definite improvement over C++. But as my programs got bigger and bigger, I found it was too much like work. The Java compiler complains about a lot of seemingly nitpicky little things, and I found myself getting caught up in all the strong compile-time type checking rules.

When I abandoned OS/2 on my home computer and jumped over to Linux (the obvious alternative at the time), Perl was the next obvious language to learn since it's pretty much ubiquitous in the Unix/Linux world. I thought it was pretty cool at the time, with its concise and powerful syntax. Unfortunately, it suffers from several disadvantages: First, to use it properly and effectively takes a long time to learn. Second, it's effectively a "write-only" language. It's a real pain to try to figure out the code you wrote only weeks or days earlier.

Now on to Python. At first, it seemed like a pretty unassuming language with some curious features. In particular, a lot of people get turned off by the fact that leading white space in a line is significant. But when you start programming in Python, that issue very quickly becomes a non-issue, since most programmers code use a consistent indentation style anyways.

You know the feeling you get when you write a program and things start coming together and working properly for you? Well, the thing about Python is that you get to that point very quickly. Others have commented on their experience that they are 5 to 10 times more productive using Python, even starting out, and I fully agree with that. It's hard to describe, but writing Python code is an interesting experience - you get to the point of working code, and you still have time left over to continue coding and making the program better. It's so much fun you just don't want to stop!

So as I suggested before, even if you don't find a use for it at work, put Python on your home computer, and use it just for the fun of it.

Cheers! Hans