Chuck Ackerman wrote:
Next, get a tool to develop web pages. Don't do them by hand at first.
Any basic tool will work such as Dreamweaver, FrontPage, etc. If you're
like me you learn by doing. Once you create a web page or two in one of
these tools it's easy to learn HTML by seeing what they create. I think
graphically so I like graphical tools and not text tools.

Working directly in HTML is almost as bad as working in assembly
language.  I do it once in a while and it's good to know how to do it,
but most good tools can keep you away from 90% of the HTML coding.

First, based on my experience, coding HTML directly is not all that difficult. Second, although I suppose the HTML generation tools have improved, many generate some pretty horrible HTML code.

Two key points about understanding HTML: 1) It is NOT a WYSIWYG format, contrary to what many tools might lead you to believe. 2) Ideally, HTML is the markup language used to describe the /structure/ of a document. CSS is the language used to describe the /appearance/ of some document when rendered by some formatting tool (like a web browser).

Cheers! Hans