HI Jim,

I had a similar problem at a customer the other day. They have had their
system for years, without this problem. Moved to a new building (with
upgraded network!) and went well for a month. There were intermittent
problems. The error then became 'hard': FTP presented the same problems
as you have, creates the file, but it is empty.

They have a Model 170 at V4R3M0 (NOT interested in upgrading), 2838 and
it is on a Gigabit backbone. The switches are CISCO. The Switches were
set on AUTO, the 400 on 100M at Full Duplex. I changed them to 10M Half
Duplex. Everything went through fine. They only have 4 users on the
system. I must add that it was all local traffic, not remote.

Try a ping to your 400 from the offsite machine. Timeouts?

HTH.

Cheers,

Jan Megannon.