What is that message number?

Benjamin Franklin

jcorey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
05/20/2003 08:26 AM
Please respond to Midrange Systems Technical Discussion

        To:     Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
<midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
        cc:
        Fax to:
        Subject:        Re: FTP

thanks for the help... here's what's happening now...

TCP comes up, PC's connect, they ping, all is well.  When they try FTP, it
doesn't work.  When going through the job log, they get a STRTCPSVR ended
abnormally message.  FTP server not started.  It states Reason Code 5...
load the server product....

HELP!  Please....

TIA

Jeffrey P. Corey
Regional Sales Manager
Computer Configuration Services
317/403-1611 - Cellular
317/823-7535 - Office Phone
866/249-8184 - Fax

                      Vern Hamberg
                      <vhamberg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx        To:       Midrange
Systems Technical Discussion <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
                      nology.com>                      cc:
                      Sent by:                         Subject:  Re: FTP

                      midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxx
                      ge.com

                      05/20/2003 07:42 AM
                      Please respond to
                      Midrange Systems
                      Technical Discussion

Unlike other servers, there are two ways to name objects. This can be a
little tricky. So determine whether they primarily want access to standard
library objects or the IFS. If the former, use CHGFTPA NAMEFMT(*LIB)
CURDIR(*CURLIB). If the latter, use CHGFTPA NAMEFMT(*PATH)
CURDIR(*HOMEDIR). The latter may be more comfortable for non-iSeries
folks.

It's clumsier for getting at library objects, compared to the other way,
but has more flexibility.

As others have said, security is a big concern - FTP, like other
client/server access methods, is not controlled by LMTCPB of the user
profile. Any command can be run, using "quote rcmd". Exit programs are a
bit of a poin but are the only effective means of controlling things - not
actually difficult, just picky.

They may want to set up batch processing - uses OVRDBF FILE(INPUT) for
input scripts, OVRPRTF FILE(OUTPUT) or OVRDBF FILE(OUTPUT) for output.

HTH

Vern