Jon, you seem surprised by this.  Hans, you've hinted that you suspect you know
what happens "out
there".  And, perhaps by virtue of working for a fine corporation such as IBM,
you have come to
expect education as part and parcel of the work you do.

This is not the case in *most* of the "real world".

Yes, there are the Dekko's of the world where the boss hands Leif's MI
presentation to one of his
programmers, but I'd guess that these are, by far, the exception to the norm.
Obviously, there
*are* companies that send people to COMMON.  BTW, anyone have a count of how
many companies are
represented by visitors at the last few COMMONs?  (Don't count visitors who
attend on their own
dime or who are employed by vendors working the show.)  Compare that number to
the number of
companies in the country that employ AS/400 programmers.  I think the ratio
would be telling.

In my experience, especially over the past ten years, most corporations treat
IT strictly as a
cost center.  Some go as far as treating IT as a commodity, the lowest cost for
the whole IT bag
wins.  As such, any approval for expenses that would be incurred to improve an
IT employee's skill
set would be laughed out the manager's door.  Well, I'm sure they do the
laughing *behind* the
closed door; what the employee usually hears is "not in the budget right now".
It never is with
these companies.  One company I worked for even verbally acknowledged that I
needed training for a
new area, but never provided it, even though I drew up a convincing memo that
provided the
rationale for doing so.

Re: Jon's story about the boss who reverse-engineered the RPG-IV pgm back to
RPG-III.  A few years
ago, I wrote a new, simple program in RPG-IV.  Everything in this shop was
RPG-III, except for one
program that did a lot of complex string manipulation.  The new program I wrote
could just as
easily been written in RPG-III, but it was so simple that any RPG-III
programmer could have
understood it.  Didn't matter, I got called on the carpet for that
transgression and had to
rewrite it back to RPG-III, which took maybe five minutes.  I should have not
been surprised when
it came up in my annual review as a negative.

And, yes, I have worked for a company that expected that I still get the full
40 hours of "real"
work in, despite attending a half-day user group presentation on a topic that
we were exploring
for use in our shop.

I no longer work for those companies.

Even though I am currently working for a good company (we use RPG-IV,
modules!!!, some Java, we're
actually on the current release, we do code reviews and test our work using
test plans, and
company as a whole does well on benefits), I have given up trying to do
anything associated with
education like COMMON or any other seminar that requires travel.  No one here
subscribes to any
AS/400 trade rags except for me.  The best they'll do here is get the ATS
tutorials.  Still, I
consider this company to be one of the better ones i've worked for in my twenty
years in this
career, which includes between 30 & 50 companies I've done contracting work for
or been employed
with.

I've become more and more cynical with this career choice over the past several
years.  Can you
tell?

- Dan