From: Jon Paris [mailto:Jon.Paris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Monday, May 05, 2003 12:55 PM
To: midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Management attitudes to Education (was COMMON rates )

 >> Omigawd!?! That's got to be the most depressing and disturbing thing
I've read since returning back to work from my LOA.

I agree with you Hans - although I don't find it as disturbing as the story
told to me by one programmer who returned from vacation to find that his
boss has reverse engineered his nice RPG IV program back into RPG III
because "he couldn't understand it".  How one can understand well enough to
reverse engineer but not to maintain remains a mystery to me!  If that were
an isolated story it would be bad enough - but similar tales have been told
by others on this list.

My feeling is that if the manager is prepared to pay for _any_ education he
should be able to provide it in a form that he finds acceptable.  So his
"rules" re what the education should comprise are somewhat restrictive.
Better that than the poor devils I met a few weeks back who had to return to
work after a User Group meeting because attending and educational seminar
didn't count as "work"!

Jon Paris
Partner400
www.Partner400.com