Hello,

Here is a cut past (i took only english part) from a mac site.
http://www.macbidouille.com

The 1st benchmark of ppc970.

[By reading these benchmarks you'll understand that we couldn't publish
them before.
Now we know that PM G4 sells are stuck at a very low level, the
following test results won't have much incidence. It will however make
the ones switching to PC wait for the next generation of Power Macs.]

[The first benchmarks were done during March 2003 on a preview model
running at 1.4 GHz. OS was an alpha version 7B5 and 7B8 of Panther,
optimised for 64 bits processor, but the applications tested were only
using 32 bits.]

[Photoshop : PPC 970 mono 1.4 is 87% faster than a Dual 1.42 GHz Final
Cut Pro : PPC 970 mono 1.4 is 112% faster than a Dual 1.42 GHz
Alias|Wavefront Maya Render : PPC 970 mono 1.4 is 254% faster than a
Dual 1.42 GHz]

[The second series of benchmarks were done on the same computers that
will be sold. There is however a doubt on the presence of the up-market
dual 2.0 GHz as the availability of these chips isn't sure. It seems
Apple will surely be able to sell Mono 1.4 GHz, Dual 1.6 and Dual 1.8.]

[The result is that the G4 compared to the PPC 970 is now a secretary
computer.]

[A few explanations to the results :
- The Altivec shows a 80% increase of performances with the 970. This is
not due to the chip itself, but to the high speed access between
processor and central memory. The Mach 64 motherboard is highly
optimised for the use of DDR-SDRAM.
- There is no performance loss when the PPC 970 executes some 32 bits
apps.
- The motherboard optimization almost allows dual processors to reach
double performance. In fact it's about 90% efficiency gained with the
second processor, compared to 50% for the G4.]

[Looking closely to these results we understand why Apple didn't need to
wait for a 64 bits OS to launch the PPC 970. We'll take advantage of a
50% gain of performance between he up-market Pro G4 and the first PPC
970. We can imagine the difference with the top level PPC 970. It will
be the best evolution ever between two Mac generations.]

[Mac fans, our wait will be rewarded. The fight is over and Apple will
soon rule the world !]

Next on as400 !