The PRPQ gives you some pretty nice tools, including the EZ editor that IBM's developers use. It has a lot of autoformatiing, but mostly for C/C++ - don't know if there's much for RPG, etc. Probably some PLMI, too. Maybe even APL! <vbg>

With PASE you get an AIX server that you can connect to just as you are now to some Unix box somewhere to run tn5250. Maybe that stuff can be installed in the PASE file system?

Regards

Vern

At 12:34 PM 4/29/2003 -0600, you wrote:
On Tue, 29 Apr 2003, Urbanek, Marty wrote:

> Anybody using Xwindows to access the iSeries?

Yes.  Though I don't think I'm doing what you are really asking.  I use
tn5250 which runs in an xterm (an X11 enabled shell) to access the
iSeries.  tn5250 is a 5250 emulator that runs on unix and windows.  I
don't know if you are looking for 5250 emulation or something else to
access the iSeries.

There is also gtk5250 and gnome5250 which are subprojects of tn5250.
tn5250 can be found at:

http://tn5250.sourceforge.net

> I know very little about X, and especially on the iSeries. Can anybody
> comment on whether this option is worth pursuing, i.e. if we do whatever is
> necessary to set it up, are these "UNIX people" going to feel more at home?
> Would it present them with a PASE shell screen or what? Wouldn't there have
> to be other X applications, for example an editor, etc?

If you are looking for an editor to change files on the iSeries there are
probably better ways to achieve this than looking for one that runs on the
iSeries.  I think you would be better off using NFS to export your
filesystem to a unix machine and then use the standard unix editors
running on that machine.

James Rich