Hi Joe

I seem to recall that in"Inside the AS/400" Frank Soltis claimed that a lot of this came about because of the decision/design policy to make the system API driven as opposed to allowing bare metal programming, particularly at the application layer.

Frank also discusses the move to 32 bit operating systems in this book and many of the problems and inability to leverage the new hardware could be laid at the fact that at a basic intrinsic level these programs used whatever number of registers (for example) were dictated by the hardware and without actually rewriting the programs nothing could alter that fact. Extend this simple example and it makes some sense as to why so many of these programs will never reap the full benefit of the new hardware or be as efficient as they might otherwise be, even if they manage to run. I can't really claim to understand this at a deep level but it makes a lot of sense.

The system/38 and the AS/400 insulated the hardware via the TIMI or SLIC (If I get the name wrong it's not really that important - it just means I haven't looked at the book to check) and therefore the details of the hardware are not hardwired into any programs. Since there is no hard dependency the binaries can be translated or simply start using am upgraded API with all the resultant benefits.

Just another opinion on why it's better :)

Regards
Evan Harris

<SNIP>
Second, and less obvious, is that since they use the large pointers, you
never have to hear about application programs having to be converted to use
"the new 16-bit", or "32-bit" or now "64-bit" architecture.  If Windows
moves to 64-bit pointers, that's a whole lot of application programs that
will need to change.

Other than stability and object-level security, you mean?  See, you and I
have a different opinion on what makes the midrange successful.  For me,
it's the fact that things are so encapsulated, including access to files and
programs.  The single store memory mechanism is a significant part of that
encapsulation, in my opinion.

But hey, opinions are like - well, everyone's got one, anyway <grin>.

Joe
</SNIP>