> From: Walden H. Leverich III
>
> I assume you're talking about flat files, not database files. Since on the
> desktop I would access the database the same way you would,
> through SQL[1].

Nope.  Talking about database files.  See, SQL Server breaks its queries up
into chunks based on the maximum memory in the system (that's got to be some
interesting thunking and whacking on large databases).  The limit on chunk
size is now 512GB.  Anything larger, and you've got multi-volume paging to
deal with, and this is not an insignificant problem (as Microsoft itselfs
points out).

This is a non-issue on OS/400 because of the single store architecture.
Everything is addresses as memory, and the system pages everything in and
out as needed.

Note that the SQL server capability only makes a difference if you add more
memory to your machine.  If you've only got 2GB on your machine, it's going
to thunk that 2GB back and forth to disk, just like OS/400, except OS/400 is
optimized to do just that.

Joe