Yeah, Rick, other results of the search brought me to MS Dev Network, where there was an article on problems with this format when the record was essentially empty.

I would expect any character to be allowed, too, since the help for that parameter suggests the possibility - after listing all combinations of CR and LF, it says:

end-of-line-character
    Specify the single character which indicates the end
    of a single record.

Vern