>You're all caught up in this web-based stuff
><grin>.  We're talking thick client.

OK.  I mentioned web-based in a diatribe about not needing Eclipse to run a
thick client.  The original statement that I didn't follow:

"Once written, that program can then run on any platform
that Eclipse supports, completely unmodified."

Specifically, I am confused by the phrase "platform that Eclipse supports".
I can clearly run Java thick client applications on the iSeries, but Eclipse
does not run on iSeries.  If you meant "platform that has a JVM", then I
already said that, which just confuses me more.  Mind you, I'm easily
confused these days...

Are you agreeing with me that Eclipse is a development tool, or are you
explaining to me that Eclipse is a required run-time environment, needed by
a (certain type of) Java thick client?
  --buck