AFAIK, MySQL has been allowed on the iSeries for some months now -- haven't
actually looked for an indication of how long, but at least V5R1. And at least
two versions -- the Linux version has been there for Linux in a partition
pretty much since Linux support on iSeries has been around and there's also a
PASE version of MySQL that is supposedly available for download, though you do
need to be able to compile it.

(BTW, I've felt very nervous about PASE ever since I used the EDTF command to
modify directly a program binary that I'd uploaded to an IFS directory and the
program ran without complaint.)

Tom Liotta

midrange-l-request@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

>   6. RE: LINUX is the "one" ? .... Comments??? (James Rich)
>
>On Wed, 2 Apr 2003, Booth Martin wrote:
>
>> I am not clear on something.  The iSeries IFS...  could we have MySQL on the
>> IFS and still have DB/400?
>
>Yes, assuming the C and C++ code that MYSQL is written in is portable
>enough to compile and run under OS/400.  MySQL creates standard stream
>files for it's tables and indexes.  These stream can exist anywhere.
>
>And btw, MySQL has some very nice features which would be great to have on
>the iSeries.  Like a great API.  And an AUTOINCREMENT feature which while
>non-standard, provides a great method to uniquely key records which just
>need an ascending number as the key.

Tom Liotta
The PowerTech Group, Inc.
19426 68th Avenue South