-----Original Message-----
From: jt [mailto:jt@xxxxxx]

| [mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of Wills, Mike N. (TC)

| Seriously... I don't see IBM drastically changing the iSeries
| anytime soon.
| It is too stable of a system to trash with other options.

I'm afraid my view is that is IS being trashed.  The *nix approach of
porting (what-I'd-call-beta) software to 400, rather than developing native
code that's WORKS and is rock-solid-RELIABLE.  And the Windoze approach of
OpsNav may be partially functional (or at least more than last time I toyed
with it), but not having command-line APIs for a lotta the new stuff is a
critical short-coming.  DDS is not being sufficiently enhanced, in favor of
SQL (but hopefully NOT myBlechSQL), when IBM could easily do both with very
little additional resources...

Point is that it's the users of RPG, DDS, DB2, and the 5250 programming
paradigm that ARE PAYING GOBS of money, to pay for all this other crap.  I
believe IBM will continue to reap profits, so agree they won't abandon the
iSeries all that much...  But a lotta Us suck hind teat when it comes to
getting development resources.

And I agree with Joe that a lotta this is due to 400 professionals who view
these as steps in the right direction.. because they are more comfortable
with C, *nix, Windoze, and/or "Open" Source methodologies than they are with
native 400 programming methodologies.