~~~Thoughts? Advice? Which do you prefer developing with, why?

one thing that comes to mind is that you can go Java without leaving green
screen.
As the other person said; try doing that with VB.

I am another who would like to see more analysis of what is being done with
which. (Any links anyone?)
The only thing that is vivid is if your going web, you need to pick
something new.

This may shed some light.
http://www-1.ibm.com/servers/eserver/iseries/toolbox/faq.htm

This paradigm you mention is why Client Access is flaky compared to native
access and version specific. Those of you connecting to multiple versions
using SSL know what I am talking about. Multiply this by "all apps" and I
would think it is easy to be a mess.

I think most folks buy into Java and VB for every reason but the basic
reason, because it is better.
Replacement coders being a key reason.

There is a bigger momentum to do Java than anything else, openness being the
motive. Once entering the business realm, never leaving 100%.

I would prefer to program all platforms in COBOL or C, but that ain't gonna
happen, although a company could choose either language for the entire corp.
The mantra a while back was that if you learn "C" you never go hungry.
I don't think I would understand Java or VB to the depth I understand now if
I did not know "C".
Borland has the most popular Java dev environment and you can download it to
train yourself.
As the others mentioned, the IBM brand of Java is appropriate for iSeries
work.
Java seems more appropriate for IBM platform related work, but there are a
lot of folks saturated with Microsoft, and carrying that flag.
This link may explain a lot about the java paradigm:
http://www.indiawebdevelopers.com/articles/default.asp

I doubt anyone could or would write ERP in VB but they could using java, C,
RPG, COBOL.
That speaks to me.
Since I have not wrote anything for Java/VB but short jazzy projects and
platform blending code, not amounting to a significant App, please take this
note with caution.

Mark Villa in Charleston SC