From: Karl Keller [mailto:kkeller@girling.com]
Sent: Tuesday, January 28, 2003 3:59 PM
To: midrange-l@midrange.com
Subject: Sizing a new iSeries

Hi List,
        I was creating a ballpark proposal based on some the pricing i've
seen for a new iSeries. This new box would replace a model 510 with a CPW
rating of 112 and a model 500 with a CPW rating of 44. We have about 100
interactive 5250 users so that takes us out of the new model 800's. So the
next step up would be a model 810. The entry level 810 with the enterprise
software has a batch and interactive CPW rating of 1020. So I'm thinking
that this is really overkill but our only option. I contacted our 3rd party
sales rep to get some ball park pricing on the additional software we would
need and told him what I was thinking regarding the Model 810. He informed
me that my CPW assumptions were way off base. He said that as a rule of
thumb, for every 50 CPW of interactive, you need 1000 CPW of batch!

        Has anyone ever heard this before? Is this true? He also mentioned
that there was going to be a promotion for legacy customers such as us which
would be similar to the greenstreak promotion last year. What do you think
about that?

TIA

Karl