>  Ray:
>The price of the Enterprise Edition reflects the costs of the software
>and the interactive processing feature, so it can cost quite a bit
>more than the Standard Edition. For example, on the i810, a barebones
>server configuration costs $12,000 with Standard Edition packaging and
>$78,000 with Enterprise Edition. On an i870 8-way configuration, Standard
>Edition costs $400,000, and Enterprise Edition costs $1.33 million.

> Joe:
>The vaunted "death of the interactive" simply means that rather than
>allow you to decide how much interactive you need, IBM instead has a
>single interactive feature for each model, priced at somewhere between
>$65K and a million bucks.

I have a great idea!  They could put a blue stripe on the front panel of the
Enterprise Edition models and a red stripe on the front panel of the
Standard Edition models.  They could start calling the Standard Edition a
"Server Model".  An i870 Standard Edition would then be called an i87S.

-Jim

James P. Damato
Manager - Technical Administration
Dollar General Corporation