This worked:
CREATE VIEW ROB/AAAKEYL01
AS SELECT minute(current time) minut, aaakey.*
from rob/aaakey

and this worked:
CREATE VIEW ROB/AAAKEYL01
AS SELECT rand(1) rndnbr, aaakey.*
from rob/aaakey

but without a seed it doesn't work.

Is it a problem with any other function in which the expression is
optional?

Benjamin Franklin

Vern Hamberg <vhamberg@centerfieldtechnology.com>
Sent by: midrange-l-admin@midrange.com
11/21/2002 01:52 PM
Please respond to midrange-l

        To:     midrange-l@midrange.com
        cc:
        Fax to:
        Subject:        SQL question - bugs?

I am running into some weirdness. I am creating a view that includes a
column that uses the rand() function.

      create view vern/fetchrand as select rand() rndnbr, orders.* from
tpch/orders

When I try to run SELECT against the view

      select * from vern/fetchrand order by rndnbr

I get

Message ID . . . . . . :   CPF426A       Severity . . . . . . . :   50
Message type . . . . . :   Escape
Date sent  . . . . . . :   11/21/02      Time sent  . . . . . . : 12:35:53

Message . . . . :   User-defined function RAND cannot be invoked.
Cause . . . . . :   External program or service program xxxxxxxxxx in
library
   xxxxxxxxxx associated with user-defined function RAND in library QSYS2
   cannot be invoked for reason code 1. The reason codes and their
meanings
   follow:
     1 -- The program is not found.

xxxxxxxxxx can be anything - mostly x'00' bytes.

Is there a known restriction (v5r1) that built-in functions cannot be used
in a view? I mean, rand() is not a user-defined function (defined by me,
anyway - it's probably handled the same way, although there appears to be
no external definition of it in QSYS2).