Tom:
IIRC, the blackberry solution needs to have your PC client up and
running.  I believe the PC receives your email (so it does not care what
the backend POP3 server is) and forwards them to your Blackberry.  I
have not had a Blackberry, but know someone who does and this is how he
explained it to me.  I thought it was pretty low tech.

For remote, wireless email, I have a Samsung i300 Palm phone (it is a
year old now and I am waiting for Kyocera to release it's 3G 7135 Palm
phone).  On the i300 I use Eudora's POP3 palm client.  It is a pretty
neat POP3/SMTP email client and allows me to download my emails very
nicely when I am not near a real PC.  While it does not push the mail
the way a blackberry does, it is a good solution for me.  I have heard
others say they use the Eudora software and have their email servers
send a text message to their phone when a message arrives in their inbox
so they know when to download.  BTW, I also use the same Palmphone with
Mochasoft's Palm TN5250 client to check on my AS400s from anywhere.
Pretty cool solution.

cjg

Carl J. Galgano
EDI Consulting Services, Inc.
550 Kennesaw Avenue, Suite 800
Marietta, GA  30060
(770) 422-2995 - voice
(419) 730-8212 - fax
mailto:cgalgano@ediconsulting.com
http://www.ediconsulting.com
AS400 EDI, Networking, E-Commerce and Communications Consulting and
Implementation
http://www.icecreamovernight.com
Premium Ice Cream Brands shipped Overnight

"You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know" - rw

Can I use Blackberry's to retrieve my AS400-based email (native, not
Notes)?  How would I do that while on the road?  I have VPN access to
the AS400.