Quick low tech solution. The program status
data structure has a work area message field

D  MSG                   91    170

On a record lock you will get something similar to this:

....5...10...15...20...25...30...35...40...45...50...55...60
        1   'Record 67412 in use by job 611072/RHARVEY/ISDEPT5B.'

How you monitor is up to you,
exception handling is how you want it.
But the info is right there.

Ron

I am still waiting for that sample code using the Monitor command in RPG
to do something like
/free
 monitor;
 read myfile;
   on-error 01218; // record lock
     recordlock();
   on-error *file; // other file errors
     fileerrors();
   on-error *all;  // what's left?
     crash();
 endmon;

Now how to retrieve the offender from within the rpg would be cool.  With
that information I could roll my own technique for dealing with the
situation.