> 1) Have any of you used this channel to acquire a system?
Yes, i did - at the Common last October, IBM announced (not too loudly) that
a "personal development machine" would be made avail. Lots of software,
plenty
of cpw to run websphere, linux, partitions, all the things we need to learn.
This was to
be "more" than the Partnerworld Developers program which has been around for
years.
The "personal" program didn't get too far. Someone at last Common suggested
to me it
had legal problems they couldn't solve. So - yes I got a machine thru
Partnerworld,
a 270-2248 (smallest 270, not too much disk, enough memory to slooowwwlly
crank up
Websphere.
> 2) Is it very difficult to qualify for purchase/lease thru this program?
Qualify for program - no. You need some references, and you have to make a
"business
case" to ibm. If you got a product in mind- they will go for it.
Qualify for lease - you qualify with IBM Global Finance like any other
customer.
If you don't have lot's of business credit, they ask for up front money
(which I did)
btw- they draft $240 month from my account - the whole year costs me less
than
going to Common one time (if i only could do both).
> 3) What are the advantages/disadvantages of using this channel to acquire
> system?
new hardware/software on a box that won't die at v5r1 or 2. (Software
Subscription
is required in the lease). Software Mall (haven't used yet) would let me get
major
software like Websphere Commerce for next to nothing.
> 4) What are the legal ways that you can use a system acquired thru this
> channel? Development & demo only. No commercial activity.
> 5) Can I purchase a used system and acquire the software thru the Partners
> in Development program? I would assume so, except the software mall does
not
have the WDS (which even at P05 is more than 2 years of lease payments.
> 6) ????? I did this as an investment in learning, as well as to develop
product.
btw - my original contact with ibm partnerworld was the iSeries Services
Network,
thru the iNation. It was like an extension of Partnerworld just for
iSeries.I'm not sure
it still exists. Also, the lease rates went up a bit this year.
<just my opinion>
jim franz