Hi, Don and Al:

Does this have anything to do with the old "Star-Base" library that
COMMON used to have, and I think used to make available to the
users, on tape, for a nominal fee?

The last time I asked a board member about this, they basically said
"it does not exist any longer", even though someone must have a
copy somewhere...

I thought this was the whole idea behind these "users groups";
to be able to share "common" code, utilities, etc. (pun intended).

The situation over at SHARE is even worse; they have (or had) a
HUGE library of contributed mainframe programs, and they used
to have the "SHARE Program Library Agency" (SPLA) to take
care of making copies and sending them to users, for a small fee.
But, for some reason no one will explain, the Board of Directors
of SHARE simply "disbanded" SPLA a few years ago, without
any voting by the general membership, etc.  But, what is worse,
SHARE refuses to let anyone "get at" the "inventory" of literally
hundreds of 3480 cartridge tapes.  For example, I know of several
people who have volunteered to turn these into CD-ROMs, for
distribution to members.

Now, I know several people who contributed programs to SPLA
over the years, and they are "pissed" about this.

This sounds similar to what you are describing with COMMON;
users contributed these programs, in "good faith". It is the duty and
obligation of these users groups to make these materials available,
preferably on the web, at "no charge" to their (paid) members.

Sincerely,

Mark S. Waterbury