From: midrange-l@midrange.com
Date: Wednesday, August 07, 2002 11:51:59
To: midrange-l@midrange.com
Subject: RE: Achieving Shipping Compliance at Remote Locations

Hi Rick:
As with most issues, it depends....
Is DSL required, no, would any internet connection work.... Yes. If all
you are doing is AS400 functions with some printing, a dial up
connection would work well. Just off the top of my head here is how I
would do it:
1. Set up some sort of VPN server on your internal network. If the PC
server you are currently using is W2000 or NT, you have what you need.
2. Use a PC in each plant, each to have 2 parallel cards, one for a
laser printer, one for the bar code printer.
3. Equip the PC with a bar code scanner
4. Have the PC connect via a dial up to the internet, then start the
VPN connection to your internal network
5. Once you are connected, the PC looks like it is connected locally to
the AS400.

Of course it is not quite this simple, as you will need to be sure the
AS/400 apps are up to snuff to perform the business tasks required. You
may have some issues with the config of the printers, especially the bar
code printer, but should not be much of a problem, it may require some
trial and error. You will have to select a PC emulator that support the
remote printing..... It can either be TN5250e or LPD/LPR. Most of the
software out there is very inexpensive. Once you had a "hardware
package" you were comfortable with, you could roll it out to each plant.
If you go with a dial up connection, it should be pretty straight
forward to the personal, if the connection drops, then have it dial
again (persistent dial up).

In my opinion, you can spend a lot of money on this, or not a lot of
money, your choice. The solutions I am suggesting are pretty much the
least expensive for initial costs, and recurring costs. Of course you
could install frame relay, but to support one or 2 devices..... Why?
Even DSL is relatively cheap. With DSL you could use a VPN router and
ethernet connected printers.

Just a few ideas for you to think over.
cjg

Carl J. Galgano
EDI Consulting Services, Inc.
550 Kennesaw Avenue, Suite 800
Marietta, GA 30060
(770) 422-2995 - voice
(419) 730-8212 - fax
mailto:cgalgano@ediconsulting.com
http://www.ediconsulting.com
AS400 EDI, Networking, E-Commerce and Communications Consulting and
Implementation
http://www.icecreamovernight.com
Premium Ice Cream Brands shipped Overnight

"You ain't gonna learn what you don't want to know" - rw