Clearly, I cannot afford to legally run my machine then.

This is sad considering my situation. I've been developing on the 400 for
around 10 years. When I decided to start a little website, the obvious
solution, to me, was the 400 platform. I bought my old machine cheap,
upgraded the hardware, and it's everything I need for now.

Until this.

Even if I scratch back to a prior release, or even the release that came
with the box, I still don't think I'm running legally. But at least I won't
have license management in my way.

So, in summary, by charging exorbitant rates for software subscription on
old boxes, IBM has missed a chance to add a customer.

This is unfortunate. I would like to be able to run the latest OS, but can't
afford to pay IBM for developing things I don't want and will never use. I'm
not against paying for what I'm using--I'm one of those people that even
pays for shareware. On the other hand, this is a hobby system with no money
being made from it with a potential tools developer working on it, and from
the responses I've gotten here, IBM just doesn't seem to care--except about
their money.

How is it they can get away with sticking your machine into a processor
group, but not adjusting the pricing for age? Don't extremely different
(CPW-wise) machines end up in the same group? Do they want all the old
machines in landfills? This is just silly. They are shooting themselves in
the foot by not supporting the little guy. This isn't Windows we're talking
about. This is a platform with extreme differences in performance and
software should be priced to match.