Thanks Evan

> How are you actually adding the file into the directory ? My experience
has
> been that in all cases the owner of the new object got the same authority
> as the owner had to the directory, however, there is an inherit authority
> flag (maybe *INDIR or something - I'm at home and relying on memory) which
> has something to do with this. Perhaps one of the directories further up
> the tree was created without this setting. Try creating a new tree and see
> what behaviour you get; check the parameters as you create the
directories.
> WRKLNK might be handy here.

The file is being added via a shared drive on a PC. The directory is
exported by Netserver.

The directory was created with mkdir on the iSeries. The options here
(*INDIR etc.) only refer to the default public authority. *PUBLIC has
*EXCLUDE authority to these files.

I get exactly the same behaviour with any tree in the /root file system -
the file owner/creator inherits the data rights, but not the object rights.

> I have never been able to get this to work predictably. When using Network
> neighborhood it seemd to work, but FTP (for instance) or CPYTOSTMF
produced
> a whole different set of behaviours. Under what circumstance does the
> authorisation list get added to the new object ?

The authorisation list is specified on the parent directory. It is
automatically inherited by the file when it is created.

I havn't tried using other methods. The end users and the user application
only use Windows mapped drives.

The files themselves are small text files. Engineering machinery on the shop
floor downloads these "programs" which contain the appropriate manufacturing
instructions. I am trying to eliminate a Windows server, replacing it with
the iSeries Netserver.

IBM state that the iSeries can replace Windows servers, allowing a
consolidation of hardware. Easier said than done!!!

> >Yes - but how do we get this to happen automatically?
>
> Yeah how do we :)

Could there be a PTF I am missing. Or should IBM recognise this as a fault
and create one?

Is there a work around for this problem?  Needing a work around admits
failure as server replacement is concerned, but I do need to get this
working and move to the next job. (the same iSeries as Internet Gateway and
mail server!!)

Regards
Syd Nicholson