From: midrange-l@midrange.com
Date: Thursday, June 13, 2002 12:23:11 PM
To: midrange-l@midrange.com
Subject: Re: Vary On Sessions

In our shop, we get calls like this about once a day (but we're a small
shop) and they're ALMOST ALWAYS due to invalid signon/password attempts.

On most 5250 terminals (that we have here), there's a "shift lock" button.
Unlike the caps lock keys that are common on PCs, the shift-lock causes
ALL keys to be shifted, not just alphabetic letters. This means that
"1" becomes "!", "2" becomes "@", etc.

99% of the time that someone varies off their sessions is because they've
got a number in their password, and the shift lock is on. They just keep
trying until the terminal gets varied off.

Then they call us and say "I was using my terminal and the screen suddenly
went blank" which we know is user-language for "I can't sign on because
the shift-lock key is on" :)

At any rate, check QHST or QSYSOPR to see why the CRT was varied off,
that'll get you going in the right direction :)