> We had been seriously considering getting a system under this lease - the
> rise to 1.75% has put it out of reach.

I still think iSeries & Rochester have no say or control of what IGF &
Partnerworld do,
this was a change for all platforms.
fyi-
I recently aquired  a developers box thru PartnerWorld, a small 270-2248.
The software
part of the deal is not cheap, but is also at the lease rate. Mine runs
about $230 US per month for 270, OS, CAE, WSAD, SQL Dev. (and because of a
lack of credit rating I had to put up a considerable refundable security
deposit). This was pre-V5R2 prices.
At the new rate that would be $402 month.
Other major software, like Websphere Advanced Server, WebSphere Commerce,
MQ, etc can all be had for a single annual payment of less than $1,000 to
join Software Mall within PartnerWorld. For me, the cost of not doing this,
and falling further behind,  would have been much more.
jim franz

> Maybe Al can afford it, but we can't.  It is not just the cost of the
> machine, but also the software that you have to consider.  I suspect that
Al