comments in-line.....

I'd like to ask a couple of questions with regards to the
configuration:

- 1GB main storage, is this adequate?

>>That should be plenty for the stated workload

- Disk arms: I'm looking at getting 4 17GB disks. Another option would
be to get 6 8GB disks in order to spread the load over more arms. But
from what I hear, IBM is going to discontinue the 8GB drives shortly
due to problems. How badly will having just 4 arms impact performance?
Are the 17GB's the right choice (performance wise)?

>>I would go for the 6-8gb drives instead of the 4-17gb drives,
        however here in the states the price of the 17gb's are the same
        as the 8gb's.  If that is true down-under you may want to go ahead

        and get 6-17gb...Same price twice as much space..and never buy
DASD again<g>

- It was suggested I get a 16GB quarter-inch tape drive (4583). Is
this a good choice? We currently have an 8mm drive (6390) and a
quarter-inch 2.5GB drive (6380) which is rarely used (too slow).

>>get one big enough to hold all you data on one tape.
        Also look into the compatibility between the 2.5gb and the one
        you choose for the 270.  You will probably use that drive for
migrating
        your data from one system to another.  The compatibility is
mentioned here
http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/pubs/pdfs/redbooks/ga195486.pdf ( page 342 )

- The sales guy is pushing an ops-console but I prefer twinax. Should
I give in?

>>You should stick with what you are comfortable with..

One more thing: It appears that a lot of configuration functions have
been moved to Ops Navigator exclusively which from what I hear is
windows only. If this is true, we have a problem because we run mostly
linux workstation. Do I need to factor in getting a Windows PC?

>>>Yes there is getting to be more and more you need ops nav for and
therefore need windows.
        If you do not want to proliferate the windows virus into you
environment, what if you went ahead and got ops console and that PC
becomes you windows workstation for ops nav and ops console.

 Bryan Dietz
3X Corporation
614-410-9205