John,

with OS/400 - DB2 Symmetric Multiprocessing (SS1 opt26) the OS can break up a
job's TASKS to different CPUs. An example from a perf class I once attended in
Rochester: Hugh File and cpyf cmd on say a 4way. The system could with SMP
installed, copy 25% of the file with each cpu in a parallel fashion. Again as
you pointed out "Your Mileage May Vary"

Kirk Goins
IBM Certified iSeries Technical Solutions Expert
Pacific Information Systems - An IBM Premier Business Partner
503-674-2985           kirkg@pacinfosys.com