I am not sure you understand the purpose of the MX record. It is for mail,
it tells which server(s) is handling the email. When I say domain  I should
of said web server (WWW). If you ping midrange.com it will check the AS400.
If you ping linux.midrange.com it will check the first mail server. But you
have no idea from david@midrange.com to ping linux.midrange.com, without
looking up the MX record.

If you are dealing with businesses the olds that the business will
disappear is slim, where account@somebusiness.com disappearing is greater.
So to check just that the mail server is valid is pretty worthless (and
checking the web server is worse), you need to check the account to make it
worth your time.

This web site  http://www.zmailer.org/mxverify-cgi.html  is doing just what
I said you need to do. The DNS yields following MX entries
sections finds the MX records. The Testing server at address section does
the SMTP part. That web page checks more then MX records it checks email
addresses.

IBM can not block the SMTP protocol, if they did they would not get email.

Here is a test you know midrange.com  uses linux.midrange.com  for its
first MX record.
Find out your IP address,   http://www.mrmug.org/examples.html  near the bottom
Now start your favorite telnet client, connect to linux.midrange.com on port 25
when connected key in
HELO your ip-address
MAIL FROM:<>
RCPT TO:<john@midrange.com>
RCPT TO:<david@midrange.com>
QUIT
If you get a response that starts with a 5 it is not going to accept mail.
You can get an 5 for more then just invalid, the mail box might be full.

Note you can send email this way, use the following after RCPT TO: and QUIT
DATA
body of email
enter
.
enter

a . (period has to be sent all by itself to end the body of the email)

John Ross