Hello Steve,
Answers inline:

Steve Richter schrieb:

> Hi Phillip,

This is like Ban Dale or Dan Bale or so : this is my name : Philipp
nobody gets it right ... sniff  :-(

> In the scenario where one drive is failing, can you pull the scsi cable from
> the failing drive and then reload using IPL D ?

YES, this should work, you simply deactivate the failing drive and do your
reload.

> If the load source drive was not the one failing, would you at least be able
> to get a manual ipl dst screen ?

YES and NO, on the older machines there was something like a separated
"load source" disk which normally resided on a separated bus/controller.
The newer models (to my knowledge this has been since model 6xx, Sxx,
150, 170) have the "load source" included in their normal drive config, this
has the advantage, that you can include the load source in a 4 drive RAID set
(this is minimum requirement for RAID-5 on the AS/400) or you can mirror it
with another drive on the first controller.
BUT: if you did not do one of the protection measurements for your drives
as described above and you loose the "load source", you are lost completely,
because the "stripe set" is disturbed, this means, you cannot access your data
on any of the drives (!). This is the main disadvantage of the "load source"
being
part of the set of drives on the first controller. But you would never go
without
any protection, would you ?
Nevertheless you would still be able to do a D-IPL from CD to DST to see
what is happening with the hardware ... this should at least get you past those
SRCs.

> Thanks ( in deutsche, bitte ? ),

(?)  you mean:  Danke !
You are welcome!

> Steve

BTW: One shouldn't sit in front of a computer on sundays ...  <VBG>

Regards from germany, at least I got a good cold and dark wheat beer in my hand,
. . . Philipp