Hello Joe,
may I add something to the discussion from abroad ?
In the european community we got (since january 1st this year)
24 months of warranty BY LAW for everything new you buy,  that is,
no company can go a different way with their "warranty periods".
Compared to the former 6 months in Germany, this is a great
improvement for the customer. In the first 6 months of this period it
is even the producer or reseller of a product who has to give evidence
that the goods he was selling is NOT defective or malfunctioning.

Just my two cents from over here,
regards from germany, Philipp Rusch