ODBC and OLE/DB are two MS defined architectures for accessing data. While
you can directly access either the ODBC or the OLE/DB API directly generally
speaking you then use another layer on top of that. Originally that layer
was DAO (Data Access Objects) then ADO came into being (Active Data
Objects). In either case you would have the following:

VB -> ADO or DAO -> ODBC or OLEDB -> ODBC or OLEDB Driver -> Network ->
Database Server (AS/400)

MS Provides the ODBC or OLEDB layer, the DB vendor (IBM, Oracle, MS, etc.)
provides the Driver layer.

If your programmers have used this setup you could change architectures
(ODBC vs. OLE/DB) or drivers (Hit, IBM, NS) or networks (SAN, TCP, Token
Ring, Tin Can and String) without a problem. However, if your programmers
went directly after the ODBC or OLEDB API then you can't change that part.

Now, I seem to remember that Netsoft had AS/400 specific objects that
represented things like file transfer or printers and the like. If your VB
apps are using NS specific objects I doubt you'll find a replacement for
them that doesn't require code changes. If all you're talking about is ADO
or DAO data access you should be able to drop in most newer drivers and
connectivity programs. And if at all possible, drop SNA Server. There are a
few good reasons to still keep it, but VERY few. And they all have to do
with SNA-only environments or extremely undersized AS/400s.

-Walden

Walden H Leverich III
President
Tech Software