Dear Peter,

The LPR protocol was invented back when most networked printers were
attached to an output port on a Workstation that was connected to a network.
The LPR function was invented so that a file to be printed could be moved
from a Workstation without a printer to a Workstation with a printer. The
protocol is designed to act somewhat like a specialized file transfer for
files that are in a ready to be printed format. It includes two files for
every transfer between sending client and receiving printer station. The
control file includes some information about the file to be printed (ex.
file size) as well as some formatting options that the originator would like
honored if possible. One of these options is the number of copies required.
The second file is the actual data to be printed and is known as the data
file.

When you configure an iSeries or AS/400 host to use LPR, via a remote output
queue, to send a spool file to a multi-protocol print server like a
JetDirect print server, the receiving device has no disk space in which it
can store the file. It therefore has no capability to create a series of
collated copies of an incoming spool file. By default, most LPD daemons
running on multi-protocol print servers do not attempt to ask for multiple
uncollated copies when the LPR control file specifies a copy count greater
than one.

This is why the XAIX parameter was created for the OS/400 LPR function. It
replicates the number of copies requested from the OS/400 spool file
attributes by sending the whole file to the target printer the number of
times equal to the copies requested (as you have already seen).

If your Kyocera printer is one of the newer digital copier/printer models or
is an older model with an internal hard drive, you might be able to send it
a special Kyocera command that would specify the number of collated copies
requested through the use of a user exit on the iSeries host that called the
appropriate OS/400 printing API to get the copies requested and then
inserted an appropriate Kyocera printer command, for requesting the
specified number of copies, ahead of the spool file data to be printed.

If you post the model of Kyocera printer that you are using, I can give you
any copy management suggestions that we have for that particular model of
printer.

HTH

Best Regards,

/Paul