Richard:

On Wed, 26 December 2001, Richard Reeve wrote:

>  I had tried that already but don't see anything.  Would it be easier to do a
>QMQRY?  If so could someone lay out the steps to accomplist in QMQRY?  I am in
>a bit of a rush..........What else is new?

The job that ran the RUNSQLSTM command should have a spoolfile named FIXFORNAM
since that was the member name of the SQL statement. That spoolfile should have
a more explicit error message.

Using QM Query would be a two part process for you. First, you'd compile the
*QMQRY object with the CRTQMQRY command. Second, you'd use the STRQMQRY command
in your CL instead of RUNSQLSTM. Prompt the commands; the parm values should be
fairly obvious.

QM Query has some advantages. It can run more SQL statements than RUNSQLSTM
can, e.g., SELECT to an outfile. It can accept substitution values at run-time;
these can be used as parameters to customize a query. It's compiled, hence some
error checking can be done before the query is used. It provides a means of
converting Query/400 queries to SQL via RTVQMQRY and RTVQMFORM. It provides
separate ways to define queries (*QMQRY objects) and reports (*QMFORM objects)
and lets you combine them for different results; i.e., a single *QMQRY can be
run with different *QMFORMs for different appearances or a single *QMFORM can
be fed different *QMQRYs for a common appearance. (Technically, I think if you
learn the source language, you don't really need to buy anything.) And note
that the CRTQMQRY and STRQMQRY commands should be available on essentially
every AS/400 whether the SQL development kit is installed or not.

Of course, it has disadvantages. Let's see... you gotta learn a new tool.
Hmmm... what else?

Tom Liotta

--
Tom Liotta