John:

On Thu, 13 December 2001, "John Earl" wrote:

> We have a customer who is having a problem when they issue Client Access ODBC
>requests.  It seems all of the transactions run under the authority of user
>profile QUSER.
>
> This is odd because even though the QZDASOINIT jobs start as QUSER, every
>time one of these prestart jobs receives an *SQLSRV request the job is
>supposed to swap the job's "Current User" to the user id that logged on to
>CAE.   In every other implementation of CAE that I have ever seen, when a
>QZDASOINIT job gets an incoming ODBC request, it will swap the current user
>and proceed with the request.  This site seems to leave the current user at
>"QUSER".

A couple thoughts...

First, if it is indeed "ODBC", then there's no reason it must to run under the
user profile signed on to other CAE connections. User/password can be coded
into the DSN connection string.

But second, do we know if it's ODBC? That is, somebody much more familiar with
the PC side might describe what really goes on for a "Client Access Data
Transfer". Keep in mind that Data Transfer is a separate licensed component and
does not necessarily require "ODBC". It certainly doesn't require the Client
Access ODBC component for installation and I'm not sure any ODBC administration
stuff is ever needed to get a "Client Access Data Transfer" configured. The
fact that it talks to the same server only implies similar standards.
Unfortunately at the moment, all of my PCs have everything installed, so I
don't have a setup to see what happens when ODBC isn't installed/configured.

Finally, when the servers do the swap for current user, the server joblog ought
to show a "Servicing user profile..." message (as Kurt showed in his sample).
Does such a message appear that indicates a swap to QUSER? If it does, I'd
start thinking that QUSER was indeed sent in on the request. If it doesn't,
then maybe IBM should answer a question or two.

Tom Liotta

--
Tom Liotta
The PowerTech Group, Inc.