Some tips for getting familiar with MESSAGES

GO ASSIST
3 work with your messages
F24
F22
notice delivery line
move cursor there & F1

Mine is setup as *NOTIFY but during backup you may want *BREAK
we can discuss pros cons of this in AS/400 questions thread

*BREAK interrupts what you doing so you can respond immediately
*NOTIFY just buzz some message & I'll look at it as my time permits
*HOLD = I do not even want to be bothered with the fact I got a message

Later, you can change your rules via CHGMSGQ F4

F3 get back to the GO ASSIST menu
4 send messages
notice interrupt user
we call this "BE EXTREMELY RUDE"

Even if someone message Q setup as *NOTIFY or *HOLD or I forget the other
option, using interrupt means that this message will be delivered in *BREAK
mode

I am using a work station with 3 addresses signed on all the time, which
means I could have up to 6 sessions active.  This thing breaks into every
single one of them.  Sometimes I left something running on another work
station.  This thing breaks in there also.

SEND TO
Cursor down there & F4

You can send the same text message simultaneously to several people.

Get back to a command line & CALL QCMD
Do SNDMSG & F4
You see that you can only send this message to one person & your options less
than the GO ASSIST version?

Send some message, like to yourself

Back at the CALL QCMD do F10 a couple times to toggle on & off your log
Do F9 a few times ... you see how it grabs copy of your stack of past inputs
so you can do a command again with perhaps a few changes
This is very helpful for klutz suffering el typo
F9 & try to fix what typed wrong last try, instead of having to key whole
thing over

put cursor on line that had the SNDMSG & F9
now F4
you see that you can send ALMOST the same message to several people,
rephrasing it slightly to each person, without having to rekey the whole thing

Just a little walk thru in stuff you can do with messages

WRKMSGQ *ALL lists all the message queues that messages go to

If you have high security you can read messages that were sent other people
WARNING WARNING your site's privacy ethics might be such that you want people
to know that their messages can be read by other people

WRKMSGD & enter lets you skim through the main IBM error message file ...
there are just too many here for browsing

WRKMSGF *ALL gets you a list of message files, in case like us you have some
that are non-IBM, but there are also some related to particular programming
languages & other speciality scenarios & applications ... I have 39 in my
standard library list WRKMSGF F4 then *ALL lists *ALL libraries shows we have
over 100 on our system.