Jill

until you get the full spectrum of 400 manuals, some of us have various
downloads that might be helpful to pass along to you, such as Al Barsa's
"Everything you always wanted to know about SYSTEM VALUES but no one ever
told you."

You may see some reference to RED BOOKS.
There are two kinds of IBM Manuals ... what we might call the blue & white
OLD standards, and the RED BOOKS.

The difference is that the old standard books are written by the developers
of some product ... the Basic Backup Manual is like that.  These manuals tend
to be focused on a narrow range of IBM stuff ... one programming language,
one job function

The RED BOOKS are written by real people out in the field, who see what real
people are struggling with trying to do
... you need to do X, here is how to get the job done, using whatever tools
it takes to get the job done productively

An example of a RED BOOK in our collection is
SG 24-4994 400 Operations Navigator User Guide

We have a few other RED BOOKs that I not consider appropriate for a Newbie

Most of our manuals are the old standard ... we have about 50 of them.
The ones that we have that I think would be of greatest value to beginners in
the kind of position described in your posts, would be:

That poster on backup that I mentioned in another post

SC41-3200 400 System Operation for New Users

SC41-5161 Getting 400 Working for You

SC41-5206 Basic 400 Operation, Administration, and Problem Handling

SC41-3300 Tips & Tools for Securing your 400

SX41-3720 almost pocket sized (will fit in a handbag) reference list of all
400 commands, among other things

SC41-3721 CL Bible ... if you write your own custom backup routines, they
will probably be in the CL language

SC21-8384 Operator Tasks Multiple OS
Although we no longer have 36
this might have some relevance to you since the section on 400 OS is written
aimed at someone who is an IT expert but not on the 400

SA21-9656 Planning and Reference Handbook (36 world info that has mild 400
relevance)

SC09-1771 ADTS/400 PDM ... the editor is very intuitive to those of us who
have been on the 400 & its prior machines for years, but someone coming from
another platform might have a bit of trouble with the search engine, how to
compare two source members for differences, how to compile things, what are
all these options

Note that the # on most of these is 41-something.
I think 4 means OS/400 version 4
I think you might want the 51 version of these

BPCS 405 CD Manager / Programmer @ Global Wire Technologies Incorporated
http://www.globalwiretechnologies.com = new name same quality wire
engineering company: fax # 812-424-6838