<devil's advocate>

I understand IBM's concerns here.  They would lose a few
million on every machine that is sold and uses this tool
from TigerTools.

But, how can IBM tell you what you can or can't do with
something they sold (ignoring the clause in the contract)?
Can Toyota tell me not to put on any performance enhancing
products on my Tundra?  Well, while some of them may void my
warrenty, some don't.

We're talking about simply moving CPU from batch to
interactive.  Not creating more CPU or overclocking (from
what I understand).

It's like buying a bag of flour, and you're told only to use
it for Bread.  But one day you want to make tortillas, and
your grocer says you have to buy tortilla flour.

Then one day someone comes along and tells you "just use one
type of flour for both, you don't need to buy a bag for
each".

To me, this seems like Big Blue is really going against
everything that they are trying to strive for, which is
people using their products.  To begin with, the iSeries is
already over priced in my opinion (adding in hardware,
software, etc...)  If the price were lowered, more would be
sold, and more money would be made.  It's like lowering
taxes.  Give the people more of their own money, and they'll
spend more and you'll actually make more income from taxes.

IBM is doing everything they can to get people to come to
the iSeries, except what they should be doing.  (ie Java,
Apache, Tomcat, PASE)  All neat but the price isn't
competitive.

If we want people to learn about the machine and what it can
do, we should be encourage people like those at TigerTools.
Every other community seems to be hacking away at their
systems, hardware AND software except the iSeries group.
Mainly because of price, again.  Who wants to hack on a
$100,000 machine.

How far would the linux community have gotten if they didn't
let you hack the kernel source.  What about those who like
to take hardware and figure out a way to make it better (ie
overclocking)?

Or is this simply a way for IBM to cover up the fact that
they are limiting CPU based on how much money you give them?
Is this a secret?  Does IBM tell a customer "Since you're
only giving us this much money, we're going to tune down
your system at a software level, govern your CPU so to
say...  And you can only run jobs in batch."
</devil's advocate>

Personally, I think it's cow poo.  I say kudos to
TigerTools.  And more power to them.

Brad
www.bvstools.com