> If what you say is accurate, it's very un-400 like.

I based what i said on the doc about tcp timemark.V4R4M0 and V4R5M0: Telnet
Timemark Time-Out Parameter
<quote>The TCP protocol utilizes a mechanism to probe if the client is still
active. The TCP keep-alive parameter (TCPKEEPALV) specifies at which
intervals the protocol begins to probe the client. When the value in this
parameter has been reached, the TCP protocol will send a TCP keep-alive
request to the client. If the client does not respond to the first request,
the protocol will re-send the request until the client responds or until the
tenth request has been sent. If the client does not respond to any of these
requests, the protocol will assume the client is no longer active (for
example, PC hanging or re-booting, network drop, and so on).</quote>
Thia tells me the server is sending the probe to the client, which I find no
diff than what SNA did with remote dumb terminals. It periodically sent
probes to determine if still connected.
Now, if you are saying the Client is dropping, and the server still shows an
active session, like when a user presses ENTER and the Win hourglass just
sits there, then 5250 screen goes blank, it is because the Client sent a
request & got no response.
If so, I would turn on comm trace and leave it on (set to *wrap) and next
time user loses connection, end trace, dump it out, and see if the signal
for that user's request "ever" made it to the 400. You will need to identify
ip address of devices. When they first sign on, I think qhst log has ip
address when 1st connecting (CPIAD12-Servicing user profile JANIS from
client 10.0.1.20. Then follow that ip in trace till last entry. I think you
will find last request never got to 400. Then jump on the network guys.
btw - i am having a similar problem accessing 400 via internet w/CA. We
found that it coincided with a smpt relay hack to our firewall NT.
jim