Ron, what I've done is to create the FTP script file and save it without
the password.  The information I want to be variable is put in with some
unique place-holder.  I use "mm/dd/yy" as a place holder for a date for
instance.

At execution time I run an RPG program that prompts for the variable
information like "Password".   The RPG program scans for "password" and
substitute the password, and scan for "mm/dd/yy" and insert UDate.  The
output of all this goes to the script file in QTEMP and then executes. The
password disappears at job end.

(btw, aren't the overridden files "input" and "output" your FTP Script and
log files; not your files to be transferred?)

If you'd like a copy of the programs used for this process just let me
know, OK?

Booth Martin, 802-454-8315 x235
Goddard College Information Services
http://www.Goddard.edu