From: Douglas Handy <dhandy1@bellsouth.net>
To: midrange-l@midrange.com <midrange-l@midrange.com>
Date: Sunday, August 19, 2001 4:43 PM
Subject: Re: Closed system (was: PC connection via twinax ?)

>Steve,
>
>>You are right though, that there is openness to the database.  I need to
>>know more to concede that a 3rd party vendors product can have the
>>documented access to the system to compete with ibm's query products.
>
>Have you ever looked at Advanced System Concepts' SEQUEL product?  It is
most
>definately a 3rd party vendor product which compete with IBM's query
product --
>only ASC's has more features.
>
>I believe you could find several list members here who very much favor
ASC's
>query product over IBM's.
>
>Doug

Doug,

I am actually lenient toward Roch on the database front. Their database
product is very good ( I would say excellent but I dont know much about
other platforms ) and there is enough openness, implied thru the rpg400 mi
listings that show the dm calls and explicit thru qqquery to do what you
want.

Also, I get the sense that the database on the 400, being the one component
on the software side that has been truely enhanced since the s/38 was
released, has a lot of optimized code, a lot of added and patched code.  So
any more openness would probably uncover bugs and code that does not perform
as documented.  So opening it up might take a lot of work, without much
gain.

Now as far as sending a non 5250 data stream to a device .... <g>

Steve Richter