I used the think the same but. looking at my PC here which works on a peer-to-perr network, I can see that TCP/IP is the only protocol loaded.

Jerry

I know you don't need IPX.  MS used to require NETBEUI but apparently not now.

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Friday, August 10, 2001 10:48 AM
Subject: Client Access Express, Win98SE, Network Neighborhood

I have CAE V4R5M0, Service Pack 65435, Win98SE, OS/400 V4R5.  Client for Microsoft Networks is installed on my PC, as is TCP/IP protocol (no other protocols are installed). For the life of me, I cannot get the AS400 to display in Network Neighborhood.  I can ping it by IP address and by name.  I can map drives to the shared resources.  I can find the computer using the 'Start->Find->Computer' display.  I've verified (via CFGTCP) that the 400 is on the same subnet as my PC (192.168.30.x, s/n 255.255.255.0), and is in the same workgroup (simas).

I have read the books relating to Client Access and Netserver.  Here's a passage from one of them:

2. Verify the AS/400 NetServer name and domain.
The AS/400 NetServer server name is a Netbios name that the system
administrator assigns to the AS/400 system. Once you have a AS/400
NetServer server name assigned, it will appear on the PC through
Microsoft Explorer. Make sure that the AS/400 NetServer server name is
unique on the network and that the AS/400 NetServer is in the same
domain (workgroup) as the majority of the clients that want access to the
AS/400 file and print services. You must have *IOSYSCFG authority to
change any part of the AS/400 NetServer configuration. To change the
AS/400 NetServer default server and domain name, type the following at
the AS/400 command prompt:
CALL QZLSCHSN PARM(server-name domain-name 'text description or comment' X'00000000')
Once the name has been changed, it should be added to the Domain
Name Service or Windows Internet Name Service (WINS) if you use either
of these. Refer to the Microsoft Windows NT Server Administration Guide
for details.

Since I can ping the AS400 by name (QIDOCKET), I assume that the previous administrator did the 'CALL...' line.  However, I can't be sure that he added the system name to the DNS, or to the WINS.  I don't have a WinNT Server Admin Guide.

My questions are:
What is the default server and domain name?
How do I verify the AS/400 NetServer name and domain?
How do I add the name to DNS on Windows NT?
How do I add the name to WINS on Windows NT?

Tom Hightower
Solutions, Inc
http://www.simas.com
If Bill Gates had a dime for every time a Windows box crashed... oh, wait - he does.