  • Subject: Re: QSYSOPR message queue segregation
  • From: MacWheel99@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2001 02:44:25 EDT

I agree that Al Barsa ranks with the greatest here ... actually a TIE.
I don't come close, but I enjoy the thought provoking challenges.

What you have is software that some day will move into production & at that
time its error messages ought to go to QSYSOPR but today this software is in
some development environment in which you want the messages to go to the
testing team & you may in fact have several project teams - different people
on different things in the pipeline.

Ideally near front of each CL program you need a standard inser
If we running this from test library list or test environment or test
whatever, which the CL can determine from an IF statement
send messages to QTESTPLACE
else to QSYSOPR

When the software is moved into production, the test criteria would no longer
be in the *LIBL or whatever so the IF statement would go the other way.

You might have some variants ... if this that team library is in *:LIBL then
send not to QTESTPLACE but to QTHATEAM or perhaps both

If you come up with a system, you then apply it to your programming standards
for all future development, and let us know so we can do something similar.

There is another variant on this, which I call the lazy man technique.
I have helpers who are not programmers & forget about asking them to figure
out a job log.

A development software that has some problems sends a stream of messages some
place
This program got to this step Ok, gonna run program X next
This program got done with program X, gonna do whatever step next
The program got to some other check point
Then it bombs
& the testers do same stuff except slight variations in what goes into some
prompt screen
& then they say, under this set of circumstances here is how far the string
of programs got
Once this goes int production
it does not need all the developer team "here I am" messages.